You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Blitz Weinhard Commercial from the 60s

There are an interesting series of commercials from the 60s featuring the jingle on this commercial--one of the more involved, lyrically, of any made. In the one I'm posting here, they've gone for the theme of the river, and the ad shows the mighty Willamette and recalls a time when you could walk across it on the floating Douglas firs. Other ads feature a farmer, a logger, and a fisherman, rounding out the great extractive industries on which the state was built.

This commercial shows how Portland, unlike other cities that are the centers of wealth in their respective states, was the focus of the state's wealth--it's commercial and shipping hub. I'd show the others, but the VHS they came from had degraded and they're in bad shape. This one's got a couple of rough patches, but it's the best. Enjoy--



Got the sun in the mornin' to get me out of bed,
Got an old hat to cover my head,
Got me a river runnin' by my door,
Got everything here, don't need no more.

Don't make a lot of money, but the livin's free,
I work when I want, break when I please,
Some folks say I gotta do more,
Guess I could ... don't know what for.

[announcer: In Blitz Country the river is still the road, and for 120 years, Blitz Weinhard has been the one premium-quality beer found wherever you stop along that road. Blitz country, where people enjoy the best of living, and along with it, the best of beer.]

Got a snow-capped mountain outside my door,
Got a beer called Blitz, don't need no more,
Got two good reasons for livin' here:
The best country in the country and the country's best beer.

10 comments:

  1. ...The brief shots of the Portland skyline definitely place this commercial in the early Seventies.

    Of greater interest to me was the split second of half a pound of bacon frying - no local business would dare to put a shot like that into one of their commercials these days.

    The Weinhard TV advert of which I'm most fond (but barely remember) is one in which an anonymous Oregonian big cheese (legislator? CEO?) knocks the socks off some negotiating partners on account of the half case of beer he has specially flown to whatever far-off place he's at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having this Blog. I really like the vintage blitz commercials I only wish I too could of made or had the time too due such things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this old thing. But as others have said, it dates from the mid-70's (you can tell from the hairstyles, as well as the skylines).

    I think of the sentiments expressed in the ad as very much post-Tom McCall, but maybe that's just me.

    On the 1970's theme, I was telling someone the other day that I finally figured out why I like PBR -- it reminds me of "BEER" Beer. No ads for that one, but it was made by the Lucky Lager brewery right across the river on the Washington side. Had a rebus inside the cap.

    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, you're probably right on the dating--I was winging it. As for the big cheese spot, I'll consider that a request and post it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. did you happen to get the one from later on with the guys on the oregon coast? the beach ball, the bundled up girls...i've been trying to find it everywhere with no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all the Blitz Weinhard Commercials on dvd I worked there for 25 years

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also looking for the commercial with the guys on the beach with the beach ball. Anyone know where to find it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. dreins--sorry, no. These are the only ones I have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking for a commercial made in 70's or 80's with a meter maid
    trying to get the beer truck to
    move.... any copies out there?

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete