You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hillsdale "Battle of the Belt"

For the past 13 years, the McMenamins have conducted a little in-house brewfest for bragging rights as the Empire's best brewer. This year, the winning brew goes to the OBF as the McMenamin submission, and of course, the winning brewer wins a prize-fighter style belt as a talisman of his/her prowess. I have never been to this event, and since I'll be out of town this weekend, won't make it yet again. But you should go. Patrons decide the winner--and, of course, get to taste the 19 beers. It's an eclectic line-up and includes some pretty groovy styles: framboise, heather Scotch ale (no hops?), two tripels, cherry porter, and an oatmeal stout, among others.

The Hillsdale, despite the modest building, is in some ways the most historic of the McPubs: it is where brewing began. Thus, the brewers return to the source to battle it out. Should be big fun, so go try the beers for me.
Hillsdale Brewery and Public House
1505 S.W. Sunset Blvd.
Portland, OR 97201
Saturday, February 17 - 11am to close

4 comments:

  1. This looks pretty sweet - I may have to brave the trek through the Tron to go there.

    Incidentally, the Hillsdale brewpub was my first experience of McMenamins. I was a canvasser for OSPIRG in 1999 and was out there for lunch before a hapless afternoon of door-knocking. I had no idea that where "where the brewing began".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the ales all have to be cunningly ready to pour in time, or can a "late-entry" beer show up sans-conditioning and steal the hearts of the crowd?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sneaking in a beer would be frowned upon. Also difficult.

    Sandra, weirdly enough, the Hillsdale was also my first or possibly second McPub. It's the closest pub to Lewis and Clark and I may have, cough, snuck in there prior to my 21st. But I also found my neighborhood Barley Mill to be lax about checking IDs. Anyway, I am fond of the Hillsdale for sentimental reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete