You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Days of the Down and Out

Nobody loves you when you're down and out
Nobody sees you when you're on cloud nine
Everybody's hustlin' for a buck and a dime
I'll scratch your back and you scratch mine

--John Lennon
Over at Pacific Brew News, Rick sings a familiar lament about how to afford drinkin' when the economy's stinkin'.
Is it cool to cheap on a tip? Hell no. But is it so bad that we stay at home to drink bottled beer bought at places with shitty service and marginal quality? I guess I'm thinking about the owners of the bars more than I am about the servers, and maybe that's where my argument goes south, but I just can't help but think it's better to drink and be "cheap" (or economical) than it is to stop patronizing your local watering hole - be it a bar, brewery or pub. Is it cool to just order drinks, cut the food (eat at home), and call it a night?
It's an existential complaint, really. I hear you man, I hear you. But whatever you do, don't start drinking the Pabst. Hamm's ... well, maybe. But never Pabst.

No comments:

Post a Comment