You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall, Winter ... You Decide

The fall solstice was just yesterday (fun fact: on the fall and spring solstices, the sun rises directly in the east and sets directly in the west, so sayeth Matt Zafino), and already Deschutes is releasing Jubelale. I know Jubel's always the first winter ale to hit the streets, but maybe this is just a tetch early. Coupla thoughts:

1. It's not a bad opportunity to buy a sixer and throw it in the basement. Even if you don't want to age it for years, by the time the weather turns chill (forecast for the weekend--85), that winter ale will have lost its rough edges so as to be perfectly smooth and comforting. Of course, you could buy an extra sixer and save that for a year.

2. This year's label ain't bad. After last year's (mmm, how to say?) colorful edition, I find this one welcoming and seasonally-appropriate.

Jon points out that this is the 21st bottling of Jubel (it was the first beer Deschutes bottled), which makes this particular label more than the usual keepsake. For no other reason than I found them on line, I will also include a few other of the past Jubel labels below the jump. They had a good run from 1998-2000, didn't they?

2007



2006


2005


2004


2003


2002


2001


2000


1999


1998

5 comments:

  1. In May I was over at a friends house that was moving, on on their counter was a dusty sixer of 2006 Jubelale. They offered it to me and I squealed like a little girl accepting the gift. It was delicious. Far more complex than any fresh bottling I've had, with almost no hop flavor remaining.

    On a seperate note, Woodstock Wine and Deli is a great place to pick up year old bottles of holiday beer if you weren't smart enough to save some yourself.

    I'm pretty sure that right now they've got some 2007 Wreck the Halls and several varieties of 12oz bottles of 2007 winter beer. They also consistently tap vintage kegs of Celebration Ale, which is always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so sure Jubel was the first _this_ year; I've had Wassail in my fridge for about a week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, did the friend refer to it disparagingly as "old beer"? You're a nice guy to haul it out of there for them.

    I'm not so sure Jubel was the first _this_ year; I've had Wassail in my fridge for about a week. :-)

    Great Scot! I'm a terrible, terrible blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, something along the lines of...it's so old, isn't it bad? So I took one for the team, one less thing for them to move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a few months late commenting on this, but you have the wrong picture for the '07 label (you have a copy of the '03 there).

    ReplyDelete