You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Sunday, October 12, 2008

GABF: Correction

Okay, I'm an idiot. After hitting "post" on the previous rant, it ocurred to me that the "win percentage" isn't really based on the number of breweries in the state, but the breweries who submitted beers. And guess what? There were 62 Colorado breweries at this year's GABF. That's a win percentage of 55%. Not shabby. But Oregon won 19 medals on 24 breweries.* That's a win percentage of 79%. A far better percentage. I'll update this post in a bit with some of the brewery entrants-per-medal win percentages to see how others fared.

It appears that my ranting all these years was based on poor assumptions. Whoops!

____________
*It's actually fewer than that. They list two Full Sails, all the satellite Rogue breweries, and Redhook (now affiliated with Widmer). But for purposes of the calculation, I included all of them, since I don't know enough about Colorado breweries to do that kind of culling.

1 comment:

  1. Yea, Oregon did very well based on the breweries that entered. I think there are other Oregon breweries that could have had potential to win some awards. They may have been been too cautious to enter.... That can be a smart move or a bad one.

    If a new brewery wants to gain some national attention and has a product that can be distributed OUT OF STATE, the GABF is great advertising.

    Otherwise, a brewery can enter the GABF Comp, but don't need to have a GABY booth at the fest. I think some breweries don't know they can SEND a beer or beers to the fest.

    Keep working those stats Jeff....

    I would include all 24 brewery entries, since they probably represent different brewing teams and locations.

    ReplyDelete