You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Breweries Per Capita

The Brewers Association has released another document on breweries per capita, which I will include below. I've posted similar stats before. As you glance through the list, look at the per capita numbers, which start to hockey-stick at number 40. Breweries are nearly twenty times as dense in Vermont (1) as Kentucky (45). They're nine times more dense in Oregon (3) than New York (39).



As you can see, states with small populations over-perform. California, with the most breweries of any state (by far), is a middling 21. Oregon does admirably, placing third behind Vermont and Montana. Washington is 8th and Idaho is 12th.

I was recently looking into per-capita numbers by region, and this is actually pretty interesting stuff. If you look at the bottom dozen or so, you see all of Dixie. Breaking down the per-capita breweries by state is sort of interesting, but understanding it by region is far more interesting. I'll post that later today.

6 comments:

  1. My sense is that many brewpubs arise in tourist locations - so states that have destination locations and small populations (e.g. Jackson, WY), will have a high concentration rate, but this is just a sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does this "per capita list" have to do with the price of tea in China?

    These LISTS are so tedious and ridiculous....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about anyone else, Dr. Wort, but I'm more interested about the price of beer in Oregon than I am the price of tea in China.

    I spend more time in the former than the latter, ya know.

    Captcha: Filigump

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Doc, you don't like lists? Hmmm, that gives me an idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks jeff!

    Yopu know I'm not going to read that post... ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ... forty thousand breweries PER PERSON! That seems unsustainable.

    ReplyDelete