You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Monday, June 15, 2009

More Tech

I seem to be running a mini-theme week on technology here--Beer Signal, beer bikes, and now beer pouches. However, while I endorse the first two, this just seems lame:
Using what is called “organoleptic film structure”, the CarboPouch by the Beverage Pouch Group boasts that the taste of the beer will be unchanged, and that it will retain all the properties it needs to remain fresh. Designed primarily for “artisan” (love that word) beer makers, it would allow them to quickly sell beer to go. Living in one of the MicroBrew capitals of the US, I wonder when I’ll see these pop up in Portland. The shape alone could provide for some entertaining scenarios. Have them up your sleeve or dangling outta your pants, it would be easy to sneak these into venues and such.
I believe that old-school "bottle" tech is doing us just fine. If you really want to go light-weight and high-tech, pick up a sixer of Caldera in cans. But the pouches ... no.

____________
PHOTO: GADGET REVIEW / link

4 comments:

  1. I doubt those pouches would even be legal in this state… they look pretty collapsable to me.

    -anónimo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't have collapsible containers?

    I kinda like the idea, I doubt it will replace bottles, and would prefer they didn't, but I could see these as being great for camping/outdoors. The only big downfall would be the difficulty recycling them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I recalled seeing these things, and sure enough I followed the trail of links back through 3 other blogs before finding the website for the Beverage Pouch Group, manufacturers of these things.

    http://www.beveragepouchgroup.com/

    It says they've been in business since '96 and they have a whole line of these things, including a 64oz growler sized one.

    They also had a link to Incan Gold Brew Pouches, a retailer of the pouches in Alaska who's been selling them since 2000. Apparently at least one brewery - Great Bear Brewing in Wasilla - is using them, and one of the main benefits they mention (besides being reusable) is that they're collapsible and easy to pack off of a glacier. :)

    Long story short, these pouches are actually old news, but they don't seem to have ever caught on. I do recall seeing something like that at the liquor store a few years ago, but they only held 3-4oz and had pre-mixed Bacardi daiquiris and crap in them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thing I thought was that you could sneak these into a ball game real easy.

    ReplyDelete