You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Monday, September 28, 2009

Honest Pints in Oakridge: Brewer's Union Local 180


Brewer's Union Local 180

Purveyor of an Honest Pint
48329 E. 1st Street
Oakridge, OR 97463
541-782-2024




As a good many of you have pointed out in emails and comments, the good folks down in Oakridge serve honest pints. They serve very, very honest pints. Not only do they substantially exceed the volume standard, but they meet the gold standard of having a clear line marking the 20 ounce liquid line. As a super extra bonus, the glasses are marked with a 10-ounce half-pint mark.

Brewer's Union serves their beer only one way--in what owner/brewer Ted Sobel no doubt things is the proper and only way--on cask. It is a terrible oversight on my part that I haven't been down to visit the brewery, but I hope to rectify that before the end of the year. An all-cask brewery is smack-dab in the center of my wheelhouse.

I am at least pleased to officially certify Brewer's Union Local 180 as a purveyor of an honest pint. Do better than I have and go have a nice pint of cask ale there.

3 comments:

  1. it's too bad Amtrak runs right through Oakridge but no longer stops there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dying to come up to beer heaven and I am trying to at least put together a "must" visit listing.

    What better way than to start with the purveyor of an honest pint. Thanks very much for your post.

    After Sierra Nevada's recent abomination with a $9.99 tag on their "Estate" ale - it's time to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In mid-August while my wife visited a friend in Eugene, I took my leave and drove an hour east to Oakridge to visit Brewers Union Local 180 Brewery and Public House. I was aware of the conditioned ale pub through several sources.

    I was there for two hours and small change; I had 4 * 5oz half glass samplers and a Reuben sandwich and French fries. I was driving so I restrained my consumption.

    For the ales, I started with the lightest and worked my way up
    - rye based special bitter
    - ordinary bitter
    - best bitter
    - IPA
    They were all delicious.

    If you are ever this way, I recommend a stop at the BUL180 Public House.

    ReplyDelete