You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Grandaddy Ale for the New Year

This is cool. I should try to score some before the Ducks thump the Buckeyes.
In honor of the University of Oregon Ducks going to the Rose Bowl, Nate Sampson, our Head Brewer here at Eugene City Brewery has brewed a beer with 2 lbs of red rose petals.

Since the Rose Bowl is referred to as the “Granddaddy of Them All,” we’ve named this one-time beer Granddaddy Ale. It’s a lightly-hopped golden ale with a floral aroma provided by the 2 lbs. of red rose petals that are added to the brew at the end of the boil.

Only 11 kegs of Granddaddy Ale were brewed and they will debut on tap at Eugene City Brewery, Green Dragon and Rogue embassies in Newport, Portland and Astoria starting December 28th.
Craig Nicholls used to brew a beer called Spring Rose Doppelbock for that period around Rose Festival. I believe I would prefer a doppel to a lightly-hopped golden, but hey, I need a time travel machine to get a rose doppel, and the car will get me to Rogue's rose.

Rogue just tweeted that it's on tap now ... but only in Oregon.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this beer last night at Eugene City Brewery. I have a short review up on my site.

    For anyone trying the beer, let it warm up a bit before you drink it. Initially, there wasn't much rose presence in either the aroma or taste.

    I overheard one of the brewers mention that at the temperature they serve it, the rose additions don't really come through. Once warmed, the rose is more evident.

    This one left me kind of mixed. It is a blonde ale, so I wasn't expecting something huge, but the rose is more subtle than I would have liked.

    Cheers!
    Kevin
    beerandcoding.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...I'm not normally one for rose flavor in much of anything, but in honor of my alma mater I'll have to see if I can find this somewhere...

    ReplyDelete