You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Honest Pints in Michigan

Liberty Street Brewing
Certified Purveyor of an Honest Pint
149 W. Liberty Street
Plymouth, MI 48170

It is a fine day when I wake up to a new certification photo in my inbox. It is even finer when that photo depicts a pub in a heretofore uncertified state. Today is a very fine day.

Liberty Street Brewing was founded just 18 months ago in Plymouth, Michigan, just west of Detroit. In that short time, they've served notice that they want to purvey not only honest pints, but exceptional ones. The raters on Yelp (four and a half stars) and BeerAdvocate (A rating) rave about the place. Here's head brewery and owner Joe Walters talking about his orientation to honest pints:
We are firm believers in a "pint being a pound - the world around", I did not want to serve a 16 ounce pint glass that would only hold a pint if there was surface tension and no head. I have recieved comments from colleagues telling me to reduce my pour, but even when changing glassware this past month, I chose to keep with the Honest Pint pour, using a 20 ounce pub glass. By the way, our half pints are 10 ounces.
That's effectively a verbatim rationale for our criteria for an honest pint. Thanks and congrats, Joe!
__________________
Share

10 comments:

  1. Their beer's not bad, either.
    ;->=

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beer really is bad. Generally flat and warmer than it should be. I know this is the way of the UK but we're not there. I'm a big fan of microbrews throughout this state. By far Liberty is the most dissapointing. I had high hopes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally disagree with anonymous. The beer at Liberty Street is served properly and true to style. Ive not had a bad pint there. In fact I have had very good beer there. The atmosphere is also very welcoming

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beer at Liberty St is great. The IPA (by far) and the blonde are my favorites. Their mug club events are also generally a lot of fun. Joe and his team are working hard to make Liberty St a great destination in Plymouth. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also got to agree that their beer is very good. From the traditional styles they make (the IPA) to the tartness of their cherry stout, it has all been good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their beer does tend to be flat. It improves with age, but they should hold off on releasing beers till they're ready. I'm a big fan of the place, but I'm not a groupie- I've got to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a regular there but any beer I've had has been excellent and in order to appreciate a good beer it can't be served ice cold, that only covers up the flavor. I prefer the bitter & hoppy beers such as the IPA.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also had high hopes about this place... Their beers are below average for a microbrewery. Prices are steep for the product they push. I can and do brew better beers at home. They recently removed the free popcorn, not good! Owners when working are not very friendly or personable at all. You think they would approach patrons and thank them for visiting. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look Anonymous, These guys are working their ass-off to make us some good hand-crafted beers at popular prices.

    Didn't your mother teach you "That if you can't say something nice - don't say anything at all!"
    - if you don't like their beer at least be man or woman enough to put you name on your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have enjoyed the beers each ttime I have visited. Rye was very good, and they have had a wonderful mild. Perfect session beer!
    Owners and employees have always been very friendly to me, even though I am not a regular there.
    Worth a detour for a pint, is how I see it.

    ReplyDelete