You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Speaking of Branding...

I have a lot of respect for New Belgium Brewing. I respect their green ethos, the love they inspire, and I especially respect their forays into the Belgian wild lands. (Fat Tire?--not so much.) But they have always been a little brand-forward for my tastes, and here is prosecution evidence #312: the video for their new Ranger IPA. I discovered it as I was doing research for a review of the beer--ultimately recoiling from the computer screen. Behold the spectacle:



Playing the rap card for comedy/irony/camp--gotta leave it alone. Just walk away.
_______________
Share

9 comments:

  1. I guess I can appreciate the humor... but over 30 seconds of it is too much.

    Shame the beer really isn't that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too appreciate the humor but whoa Nellie, way too long!I propose a throw down by any other brewing team out there in cyberspace. Who can best New Belgium??? Gentleman start your cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOSiR - agreed there. Unbalanced and just kinda gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just threw up on my keyboard a bit. That video conveys alot, and none of it is pleasant. Bad, bad marketing green-light on that ad campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made it to 0:42. Then I realized that the pub toilets needed to be cleaned before we open at 4:00.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is great! At least they have the balls to let some of their employees have fun and come up with something different. Sure, it is not for everyone but I don't think it was meant to be the actual marketing campaign for the Ranger IPA.

    As for the beer, it is not as bad as most of you are making it out to be. It is very approachable, has a nice floral nose and good bite on the front end then finishes very dry. A good first attempt at entering the IPA world from a brewery who typically stays away from big hopped beers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I have a certain amount of cringe factor, but overall it looks like they are having fun. anyone heard of the pain relievaz? same spirit.

    ReplyDelete