- Overwhelmed (23% of consumers): Like to drink wine, but overwhelmed by sheer volume of choices on store shelves.
- Image Seekers (20% of consumers): Are just discovering wine and view it as a status symbol.
- Traditionalists (16% of consumers): Enjoy wine from established wineries and think wine makes an occasion more formal.
- Savvy Shoppers (16% of consumers): Shop in a variety of stores each week to find best deals and enjoy shopping for wine and discovering new varietals on their own.
- Satisfied Sippers (14% of consumers): Don’t know much about wine, just know what they like to drink and typically buy the same brand.
- Wine Enthusiasts (12% of consumers): Entertain at home with friends, and consider themselves knowledgeable about wine.
Folks like Brady Walen, now off to his new job as Marketing Communication Manager at Craft Brewers Alliance, are no doubt keenly aware of trying to appeal to all the different segments of the potential market. It's good for the "enthusiast" (aka "beer geek") to recognize that breweries aren't just selling to them but broadcasting on several channels when they sell their beer. Anyway, good stuff.