Constantly-updated fresh-hop tracker.

You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

End of Gueuze

Things are about to get meager around here. I woke up on Monday and it occurred to me that I have a May deadline coming up. That may sound like a long ways off, but I have to write as much between now and then as I have between now and last May. Yikes. So you'll probably get stuff like this...

I was listening to my audio tape of Frank Boon, and he made this observation:
“In the 1950s and 1960s, this was a time when breweries were closing and all the local styles were disappearing. Everywhere in Belgium. Louvain white disappeared, Peeterman disappeared, [others?] disappeared. If gueuze had disappeared in the 1960s, nobody would ever have imagined to make such a beer. It’s an absolutely crazy way to make beer.”
It never really occurred to me, but it's probably true that lambic was at one time on the verge of extinction. It's not a massive segment now by any means, but it's thriving in its small way. Whew.


The Beer Nut said...

Spare a thought for all the styles that didn't make it.

Adrian Tierney-Jones said...

For instance, Grodziskie.

Jeff Alworth said...

My kingdom for a grodziskie, my tiny, meager kingdom for a gratzer.

Beer Nut, I did cover that last week, but I didn't mention a tasty little number that caught my eye ... from Paris. I'll post the description of that tomorrow.

Post a Comment

NOTE: Blogspot has been eating some comments, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. IF your comment doesn't appear, it's not you, it's not me, it's the genuiuses at Google. Sorry--