You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Monday, December 31, 2012

I Feel a Veto Coming

Update. I'm not alone. The New School designates this the worst trend of the year.

Brian Leppla has a post on Colorado's weirdest beers.  They are definitely weird, though it is a statement of our times that I saw Denver Beer Co. Swineheitsgebot: Coffee-Bacon Rauchbier and thought: another bacon beer?

That's not right.

A decade or two ago, I decided to reflexively refuse to sign and vote no on all ballot measures in Oregon.  Ballot measures are laws written by amateurs.  There's something delightful about the idea of direct democracy, but the implementation offers fewer delights.  From time to time I do violate this soft rule, but the burden of proof is on the ballot measure.  It must have been written expertly, have detailed all hidden costs and possible unexpected consequences, and be clearcut policy.  So I voted for Oregon's Death With Dignity law but not last year's seriously half-assed marijuana law.  (Steal Colorado's verbatim, put that on the ballot, and you have my vote.)

I think I must institute a similar policy with any experimental beer using crazy ingredients.  I'm going to start from the position that anything that might plausibly be sold as a candy bar, salad, or entree is not worth drinking.  If enough tweets and blogs come through praising the concoction, then maybe.  Meantime, you keep the caramel apple spiced ales and imperial orange cream stouts.  I'll have a nice porter instead.

3 comments:

  1. I'd agree with you for the most part, but I did like the Rusty Truck Brewing Cherry Chocoholic Porter. It was one of the few beers with such an outlandish name, but with a great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I'm quite tired of those large scale home brewing experiments, too. If only they were sold cheaper than a non-experimental beer, I would have more respect for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I brew a lot of crazy beers, but the important thing to remember is that it's beer first. Anything you add to it has to enhance it's already existing natural flavors, and meld with the "crazy" ingredient's flavor as well. Adding un-traditional ingredients isn't bad if it's done with care, knowledge, and passion.
    (had to post anonymous)
    Aaron Gillham
    Portland U-Brew

    ReplyDelete