You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Sunday, December 08, 2013

Photos of the Year

Each year since 1978, Alan McLeod has hosted a beer photo contest for the holidays.  The past two years I had scads of European brewery photos and cashed in for the win in 2011 with a Cantillon/koelschip pic.  Totally unfair.  I would have disqualified myself.  Fortunately, Alan did not, and I will go on my merry way for the next few decades as a happy loser.  (Unless I snag the "worst photo" some lucky year.)  You should totally enter the contest.

This year, Alan's only letting us send five pics.  Five!  Impossible.  I pulled out the bone saw and tore into the patient, but even unimaginable gore could not take me down to five.  So here are the three I couldn't exclude but also couldn't exclude.  My other entries will appear at some point in the next month over at The Good Beer Blog.  I wouldn't call them better, just more likely to appeal to the judge (purely speculatively).


Mt. Angel Abbey, which is adding a brewery, with hop
fields in the background.

Willamette Valley hop fields.

Jim Bicklein, the master brewer at Anheuser-Busch's
St. Louis brewery.  Gorgeous facility.

2 comments:

  1. Nice images and I like the second in particular with its very deep, almost day-glo blue. It is reminiscent of 1960's photography which rendered colors in an almost psychedelic sense although whether technology was connected to contemporary culture I can't say.

    The Time-Like Cooking Series shows numerous examples of this photograph and if you don't know some of the volumes, Jeff, you might obtain one or two from Powell's. There is a wine and spirits one with some interesting period (60's again) comments about beer. Any volume is good although I like the ones which focus on the east or west coast food scenes of the day. This picture brought all that back and is striking in its simplicity and aspirational quality.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant, the Time Life Cooking Series shows numerous examples of this photography (not photograph), meaning the rendering of colour in such a vibrant way (almost like a painting).

    Gary

    ReplyDelete